Monday, November 18, 2013

Interview with Aria Glazki - Author of Life Under Examination - Part I


This is the first part of my interview with Poet and to-be novelist Aria T. Glazki. Check out my review of her poetry collection Life Under Examination here.

Q: So first off, there are many light pieces in your poetry collection, so why did you choose the title Life Under Examination? Don’t you think it gives a sense of seriousness to potential buyers?
Well, that’s just it. The collection is about various facets of life, which isn’t exclusively serious or lighthearted – it’s inevitably a mix of everything.  The title may convey a sense of gravitas (you’d be a better judge of that than I would!), but the collection begins with some fun pieces, though I like to think their subject matter is thought provoking, despite the tone.

Q: Tell us about the novel(s) you’re working on.
Currently, I have a project out on submission, a novel which I’m revising, and my NaNo project for 2013 – all three are romances, of course.  The novel I’m revising is about a frustrated Muse, who accidentally becomes mortal and has to rely on her somewhat ungrateful charge to navigate our world, so there’s a bit of a paranormal element there.  The other two are purely contemporary, and they feature a similar group, though focusing on different characters’ journeys. 

Q: Which do you prefer e-books or paperback?
Definitely paperback, or even hardback. I certainly see the value of e-books, for portability, accessibility, and lower production costs, but nothing can truly replace a printed book in your hands!

Q: Do you plan on having your new novel(s) in both e-book and paperback or just e-books?
If that decision is up to me, they will absolutely be published both in print and digitally.

Q: You told me Life Under Examination is a self-published book. So what can you tell me about self-publishing in general, are there different types of self-publishing?
Life Under Examination is self-published, and only available digitally at the moment, unless you win a select print copy in one of my giveaways. 
There are some wonderful resources out there describing self-publishing options, such as print-on-demand vs. digital-only, and I am certainly not an expert.  Personally, I chose to publish first on Smashwords, which converts your book into multiple formats for readers and also distributes it to other online retailers, as well as on Amazon, and eventually through Barnes& Noble, which honestly has my favorite interface.  I very well may add other options in the future, time permitting.

Q: What are the pros and cons of self-publishing?
The pros: every decision is in your hands, which means you are not stuck with a cover you hate, and no one tells you to cut your favorite poem / chapter, etc.  
The cons: every decision is in your hands, which means you may feel overwhelmed or out of your element, and you are on the hook for every aspect of the resulting e-book, as well as every marketing decision.  Remember that you can research tips & tricks for every part of the process online, and don’t cut corners or publish too soon.

Q: What was the hardest part in producing the book?
The hardest part for me is probably convincing people to give the collection a chance – the word “poetry” scares them off, but those who start reading it find that there’s nothing to fear, and most even enjoy it!

Q: Aspiring writers claim that the hardest part is finding an editor. How did that work for you and for Life Under Examination?
Poetry is somewhat different when it comes to the editing process, but regardless, I have worked with an amazing editor I would recommend to anyone! You can find her on EditsByAnya.blogspot.com & @AnyaKagan.

Q: While still in the drafts stage, do you give your book to family and/or friends to give you comments or do you wait till you finish and go straight to an editor?
I will absolutely give my book to beta readers, but usually only after editing through it a few times myself.  My roughest drafts are not fit for public consumption, and I prefer beta readers / critique partners / an editor to focus on the parts I couldn’t fix myself, especially since the more times you see a text, the less able you are to notice issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment