Sunday, April 1, 2018

Let's Celebrate National Poetry Month!



Although I have been an avid reader and writer of poetry for years, I’ve only recently learnt that April marks National Poetry Month.

Yes, I saw the hashtags appear on Twitter every now and then; there is also National Poetry Day on 4 October, although some see it as a chiefly UK thing.

Still, this year - 2018 - I’m hoping to do something a little different for the often overlooked poetry genre.



What do I have in mind?


Well, it’s a little fuzzy, but I plan to:

·        Post a couple of poems
·        Probably do a guest post
·        Try to comment on a few poems from famous writers and publish them on the blog (Think Edgar Allan Poe meets Nadaness In Motion!)
·        And this introductory blog post you’re currently reading :D

The Takhayyal/Imagine writing prompts will hopefully feature something poetically inspiring this month. So stay tuned.

Anything readers and poets can come up with is more than welcome and will be considered!

On 27 April, Poets.org is celebration Poem in Your Pocket Day, encouraging people to pick a poem – notice the alliteration – carry it around with them all day and share it with friends and family.


What is National Poetry Month?
National Poetry Month first began in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets. However, as the years passed, the event became “the largest literary celebration in the world with schools, publishers, libraries, booksellers, and poets celebrating poetry’s vital place in our culture,” according to Poets.org.
Find out more about National Poetry Month via Poets.org.
To support me as a poet, check out the Poetry section here on the blog and leave a comment or a share a poem (or both) and tag me along with the #NationalPoetryMonth 


I’d like to conclude by resharing a section of my poem “The Writer’s Pen”




A pen,

Plain and simple
Can bear a thousand words,
Or none at all.

One can write cursive,
Another dots and lines

You don't know what you'll write,
When you hold it to the page

Dots and lines
Hinder your words;
Your mind 
Can't see the writing
On the page

The inky one
Lets your words flow
Like a waterfall,
Quick but steady.



Continue reading “The Writer’s Pen” here.


Again if you have suggestions, feel free to share them below or email me via the box on the right hand side of the blog.


Still, April will not be all poetry as I have several books I’m currently reading and will be reviewing, including the Advanced Reader’s Copy (ARC) of The Secret of the Lost Pharaoh by Carolyn Arnold. The book and review were released on 17 April!

Update: This post was written in 2018. I have since done the interview with Erin Al-Mehairi, published lots of poems on the blog, and did many book reviews for various poetry collections.


What am I reading? Find out in the book reviews section on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment